Re: Role separator and aria-expanded

On 2017-03-09 8:19 AM, Rich Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> So, the ARIA 1.1 spec. no longer supports aria-expanded on the separator role. Consequently, it is now an invalid property for that role. Should browsers suppress the mapping if it is not the role or leave it up to accessibility test tools to flag it or both?
>
> I am concerned that this could an undue burden on user agents to have to check and suppress all these situations but I would like your input. Joanie would like it suppressed, at least for the separator role.
>
> Rich

Here's another approach:  state that aria-expanded as applied to the
separator role is deprecated.  Since aria-expanded was supported on
separators in ARIA 1.0, there were test cases for it and they passed:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/testharness/testresults?testsuite_id=1&testcase_id=221
https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/testharness/testresults?testsuite_id=1&testcase_id=222
https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/testharness/testresults?testsuite_id=1&testcase_id=223

It's also likely there are legacy pages that use the
separator/aria-expanded combination.  It may be better to ease out of
this situation via a deprecation strategy than outright ban it all at once

Is this approach too late in the sense that marking it as deprecated
means going back to CR?

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                 - C. Carter -