RE: Question about the ARIA 1.1 spec and aria-colindex and aria-rowindex

Bryan wrote:
> "If the set of columns which is present in the DOM is contiguous,
>and if there are no cells which span more than one row or column in that
set,
>then authors MAY place aria-colindex on each row, setting the value to the
index of the first column of the set. >Otherwise, authors SHOULD place
aria-colindex on all of the children or  owned  elements of each row."

> I'm having trouble understanding the syntax where aria-colindex makes
sense to put on role=row. Can you show me a markup example for how this is
supposed to work?

Say columns 10 through 20 are in the DOM and the above conditions are met,
you could put colindex of 10 on the row and the browser will do the rest. We
don't have an example demonstrating this approach in APG. I will make a note
in the advanced data grid issue about it.

Bryan continues:

>Another question is in regard to aria-rowindex, which states:
>"Authors SHOULD place aria-rowindex on each row.
>Authors MAY also place aria-rowindex on all of the children or  owned
elements  of each row."

>If it is valid to put aria-rowindex values on each child of row such as
role=gridcell,
>nothing states that all values within a single row must be the same.
>It does state that it must be greater than the prior row,
>but not that it must be less than the row after it if present.

I think this is an editorial ommision that you should raise as an issue
against the 1.1 spec.

I'm working on some checks and the following is stated regarding
aria-colindex in the 1.1 spec:

[...]

Is this intentional or is this statement missing? If intentional can you
explain the situation where these numbers might be different within the same
row?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa