Re: Issues with supporting "enter" key for activation of buttons in APG examples

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:01:21 -0500
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
On 2017-01-27 12:05 PM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> On 27 January 2017 at 16:16, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu
> <mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I think Jon is describing a scenario where the dialog has a default
>     button or action.  In this design, the default button reacts to the
>     "enter" keystroke, regardless of where focus is.
>

> Another questions is, in the case you describe, what happens if there
> is a link in the dialog, how is that activated?
>
>From the Apple user guidelines link I cited earlier
(https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/WindowDialogs.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH43-SW5):

"Don’t use a default button if you use the Return key in the dialog’s
text fields."  The same advice would apply in the case of a link.

Since the consensus here is that the return key activates a button, the
default-button-dialog pattern is likely off the table.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                 - C. Carter -