Re: Issues with supporting "enter" key for activation of buttons in APG examples

Hi Steve,

On 2017-01-27 11:22 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> On 27 January 2017 at 16:16, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu
> <mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I think Jon is describing a scenario where the dialog has a default
>     button or action.  In this design, the default button reacts to the
>     "enter" keystroke, regardless of where focus is.  Note that the
>     default
>     button is rendered in a way that makes it clear that it is the
>     default*.  If the default action is somehow dangerous, then there
>     should
>     be a followup dialog along the lines of: "are you sure you want to X?"
>     allowing the user to cancel the default action, and return to the
>     original dialog.
>

> Hi Joseph, this sounds like an edge case that changes the expected
> interaction behaviour in a negative way, and while it may be desired
> to limit the button activation in this limited situation it does not
> support the notion that buttons should not respond to the enter key
> under any circumstance.

I don't think it's an edge case.  It might be a macOS case :-)  See:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/WindowDialogs.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH43-SW5

That said, I don't actually have a strong opinion about whether return
should or should not activate a button.  I experimented with a <button>
element using FF and Safari on a Mac, and it did *not* respond to ENTER
when it had focus; only SPACE.  My intuition is that there is no
standard here, and that interface guidelines vary from toolkit to toolkit.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                 - C. Carter -