RE: Minutes for Monday, 12 September 2016 ARIA Authoring Practices Guide Task Force

Hi Stefan, thank you for your feedback. I’ve provided some responses for your consideration.

Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com> wrote:

>In the examples, the focus directly enters the grid cell when it contains active elements.

First, please read the ARIA 1.1 specification for grid.

http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#grid

This behavior is consistent with the 1.1 specification, which was written based on TPAC 2015 discussion, many follow-on ARIA telecom discussions,  and several conversations with screen reader developers.

Stefan continues:

>This is in contradiction to the proposed ARIA 1.0 APG behaviour where focus always stays on cell and F2 will put the cell in an edit state or transfer focus to the inner cell content.

You may still implement the 1.0 behavior all the time if you think it yields the best experience for your application. The requirements are "SHOULD" statements, not "MUST" statements.

Stefan continues:

>since screen readers will need to look inside in the former case to find out what’s in and look one level above to find the cell/column label association in the latter case.

When focus is on a cell, screen readers do not look inside. In this case, the browser calculates an accessible name from content, i.e., the cell content gets stringified. So, when focusing on a cell, eventually screen readers will typically speak an accessible name for the cell plus metainfo like row/col indexes and/or row/col titles.

When focus moves to a widget inside a cell, eventually screen readers will typically speak that widget as it would be spoken if it were not inside the grid plus metainfo like row/col indexes and/or row/col titles. This is the advantage of focusing on the widget; the user can get the role/state info because it is not wiped out by the name calculation. When we were working on the new grid specification, screen reader developers told us that looking up the AX tree to grab metainfo about the cell is already part of something they do so not a big deal. That said, there is work to be done here and that is one thing I will be pursuing with screen readers developers.

Stefan continues:

>Anyway, currently we have to write tons of extra code for Jaws when focus is on the cell to detect the inner element role and its values.

Wow, I hope you are not doing this. Calculating the name is the browser's job. Of course, if you want to put aria-label on every cell, that is up to you, but mixing roles inside of labels is a truly horrible idea.

Stefan continues:

>We need to know if this will change in future and if this change will come by concept or by screen reader improvements.

I am commited to helping get good support from screen readers.

BTW, having reference implementations that can be used by screen reader developers is one of the reasons for making the example code part of the APG.

Stefan continues:

>Also, we think that the current vizualization of the editable state

>for text in cells  is suboptimal in the examples.

>The design of the examples should strieve for multiple interaction channels.

>The behaviour should be either Excel-like or Access-like

>but not a mashup of both scenarios.

Since grids that contain a mix of editable and static content are very common, the goal of the visual treatment in example 2 is to provide a clear visual indication of where interaction is supported. In Monday's meeting, we discussed adding more examples where all the content is editable.

Stefan continues:

>Finally, we think that focusable header cells for grids should be generally allowed by concept no matter if the content is interactive or not.

>The examples are inconsistent here, too. Example 2 contains focusable non-interactive header cells.

>You will run into perception  problems if you do mixup things here.

There are good reasons for both models. This is a design decision, and the APG offers demonstration of both approaches to help people understand both. Individual authors may adopt the pattern most appropriate for their applications. More info on this topic and other aspects of the examples will be added to the example page before it is complete.

Best,

Matt