RE: aria-keyshortcuts

From: Rich Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 10:47 AM

Let me see what I can do. I also have to deal with the disabled issue. The problem you are going to run into is that potentially something could be hidden and disabled and then you won’t know why it does not work.

Unfortunately I don’t understand the scenario. If an element is hidden then the user won’t discover the aria-keyshortcut until it is no longer hidden, per our previous discussion. If it is also disabled, i.e., aria-keyshortcut=”key sequence” aria-disabled=”true” then both the disabled state and the shortcut would be reported to the user who reaches the element in the course of application navigation.

One could argue that if aria-disabled=”true” then the AT should suppress reporting of the value of aria-keyshortcut to the user. In practice, in the GUIs that I’ve used, the screen readers report both, i.e., that the element is disabled and the associated key shortcut.

Thank you for your compliance.