W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > March 2016

Re: SVG-related suggested text for ARIA 1.1 Requirements Note

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:53:13 -0600
Cc: Mike Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Message-Id: <F8BBD77C-E0A7-477F-9D6C-4DD913357442@gmail.com>
To: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
I agree. Here is a rewrite of section 4.0. 


Regarding 4.0

WAI-ARIA 1.0 provides a set of features that map common rich internet application semantics, fairly comprehensively,  to platform accessibility APIs. Since its completion, however, some missing features have been identified as the web has evolved and to better align with HTML 5. Examples of these include: error message support; the addition of a figure role; the addition of aria-current; the addition of a switch role for mobile devices; and the leveraging of native host language semantics as host languages leverage ARIA semantics.  When critical to the accessibility of present-day web sites, these features will be provided in ARIA 1.1. Less urgent features or are deferred to ARIA 2.0.

Rich


> On Mar 3, 2016, at 2:40 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi Michael,
> 
> Here are suggestions on how to incorporate the SVG work into the ARIA requirements note [1].  One paragraph as an edit to your point #5 ("Allow extensions to the WAI-ARIA suite") and then another new SVG-specific point.  I'd also suggest re-arranging the list so the two immediately follow the first point on adapting for HTML 5.
> 
> Allow extensions to the WAI-ARIA suiteĀ§ <http://w3c.github.io/aria/requirements/aria-requirements.html#allow-extensions-to-the-wai-aria-suite>
> WAI-ARIA 1.0 was not designed with extensibility in mind.  It addressed HTML documents and other text-based XML content.  Some communities have requested features, however, that would require a substantial revision of the ARIA technology to incoporate. WAI-ARIA 1.1 will allow, via process and tools, extensions that inherit all the features of the core specification plus add new ones, clearly distinguishing the shared core features from the details that are specific to HTML or other languages.
> 
> Ensure compatibility with SVG accessibility featuresĀ§ <http://w3c.github.io/aria/requirements/aria-requirements.html#allow-extensions-to-the-wai-aria-suite>
> The core features of WAI-ARIA 1.1 will be generalizable to represent default host language accessibility features in SVG.  The SVG 2 specification specifically adopts WAI-ARIA roles and other attributes into that language.  Future extension specifications will provide more nuanced ways to represent complex semantics in graphical documents.
> 
> 
> As a general note, I would suggest that some of the other items are currently vague to the point of being confusing.  While trying to remain general, I think it might help to give some concrete examples.  E.g., for the urgently-needed features based on web page usage, I assume this refers to things like the "feed" role.  I'm not sure what the HTML 5 missing features are.
> 
> [1]: http://w3c.github.io/aria/requirements/aria-requirements.html <http://w3c.github.io/aria/requirements/aria-requirements.html>

Received on Friday, 4 March 2016 15:53:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:58:22 UTC