Clarification regarding "required owned elements"

From: Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 14:43:05 -0500
To: <public-aria@w3.org>
Oh wise ones.

I got a question.

When a role has required owned elements, does that mean that any other
element owned by that role is invalid?

e.g.

the tablist role must own elements with role="tab"

What if the tablist role also owns elements with role tabpanel

Example:

tabindex="0">Tab 1</div>

Some content

If I were designing an ARIA checker, should I call a violation for this code
because role tabpanel cannot be owned by role="tablist"?

I am 95% sure that is the case, but I want to check with the masters of the
art.

Thanks

-Birkir