RE: Nested links (not related to children presentational issue in ARIA 1.1)

Agreed, this constitutes a WCAG 4.1.1 violation for HTML:

“elements are nested according to their specifications”

The HTML Nu Validator https://validator.w3.org/nu/

returns 2 errors for a nested link construct.

</a>

“Error: Start tag a seen but an element of the same type was already open.”

And

Error: Stray end tag a.