RE: Objection to password role

From: Léonie Watson [mailto:tink@tink.uk]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 9:25 AM

Can you point to some custom password fields in the wild, especially where accessibility is broken?

I’ve looked back through the discussions on this, and can’t seem to find any concrete examples of the problem we’re trying to fix. The nearest I can find is the discussion on the 31st March call [1].

As stated in my response, I don’t have or deal in such examples, but other participants in the working group may have them.

I think there is a principled argument for this functionality founded on the desire to support the equivalent of all of the features of HTML. However, this goal (if it were to be adopted by the working group) would be a matter for discussion in ARIA 2.0.

Unless there are good and current examples, I think the entire issue can safely be deferred from ARIA 1.1 to a subsequent version.

However, I don’t wish my comments here to be interpreted as opposition to providing this capability in ARIA. I think it would also be helpful for people who have concerns with the definition of the password role in the current draft to summarize clearly the strongest objections which they have to the proposal as presently written – if indeed anyone objects to it.

Thank you for your compliance.