Re: AXAPI Role mappings for DPub and Graphics AAMs

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 1:32 AM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 19, 2016, at 4:49 PM, Rich Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is your platform.
>>
>> Incidentally, I have built a lot ATs and APIs. Also, I have a lot more history.
>
> I admit initial confusion why a Working Group Chair would cross-post his credentials to multiple working groups.
>
> I now presume this was because I included the sentence, "As an assistive technology developer, there are a number of ways to achieve this." The sentence was not referring to me, so there is no need for a competitive response. I could have also phrased it: "Assistive technology developers have a number of ways to achieve this." I'm hopeful that's more clear.
>
>> We are in complete disagreement.
>
> I don't think so. In your previous email, you wrote:
>
>> On Jul 19, 2016, at 7:13 AM, Rich Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A lot of things indeed do not need to be mapped to something unique and this will be the case as you add new roles. There is also the point where you reach information overload with no ROI for AT users. In which case the roles should simply not be mapped.
>

> This is precisely my point regarding some of the API mappings. Thank you for acknowledging it.
>
> It seems we're in agreement conceptually. I'm just a little more conservative; I believe simpler APIs are better overall, and avoid new API if it's not needed to achieve the same end-user functionality. I'm trying to stay vigilant and strict to avoid scope creep.
>
> I consider this not only a reasonable approach, but the only reasonable approach for web API standardization. It's our duty to prevent unnecessary scope creep. Any unnecessary complication hinders adoption among authors and delays implementation among browser vendors.
>
>> Folks, I tried. I will put in James' mappings.
>
> Joanie asked me to review the mappings, and I did. Some of the macOS subroles and role descriptions that were in the DPUB-AAM document seemed to have been fabricated, or at best, speculative. The draft I reviewed recommended non-implemented, non-standard, unsupported, and therefore potentially misleading and overly complicated API, so I asked that the editors correct it.
>
> This is a standard practice in the standardization process.
Yes, as is the discussion. We know the subroles would be fabricated as they did not exist. We were asking for new roles. We have recommended and created new accessibility API enhancements for some ARIA 1.1 features on other accessibility APIs. So, your platform should be no different.

I do not agree with mapping things to the group role bucket which has no real value to end users. I feel dependencies on author defined headings to convey role information is brittle. However, it is your platform. If you choose to not expose information the digital publishing industry accessibility professionals feels is important to AT users that is of course entirely your choice. It is your platform.

Rich