From: Fred Esch [mailto:fesch@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:18 PM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: public-aria@w3.org
Subject: Re: Prior to filing ARIA 2.0 bug for structural elements not processing owned children within the accessibility tree

Hi Bryan,

In SVG sometimes we want container elements and their children in the accessibility tree and sometime we don't want a container in the accessibility tree, but we do want the containers children in the accessibility tree. The use case in SVG for this is - the container exists only to pass along rendering properties and isn't semantically important. We don't consider children of a container that isn't included in the accessibility tree as orphans, as far as the accessibility tree goes they end up being children of their closest ancestor in the accessibility tree. We need this behavior.

What do you mean that you get orphans? Do elements that you want in the tree not get in the tree?

Regards,

Fred Esch
Watson, IBM, W3C Accessibility

[IBM Watson]