Re: CFC Web Survey

Rich Schwerdtfeger

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 11:01 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:40 PM, Rich Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com <mailto:richschwer@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> James,
>>
>> In the prior week the web survey showed that we did not have consensus to keep the static or text role in ARIA 1.1.
>
> That's fine.
>
>> It also concluded that we needed to make a determination as to whether to keep the aria-roledescription=“” hack to override the role or to ignore it. Since the 2 were interlocked in that some members were expecting to keep the “hack” if they were to not vote to move the text/static role to ARIA 2.0.
>
> You may be missing my core point. It is merely that "moving out of 1.1" does not equal "moving into 2.0."

As the group has discussed multiple times and this was explained to you, ARIA 2.0 is a catch all for what is next. In fact, we discussed this when you brought up the step issue which was also moved to ARIA 2.0. I spoke to Michael and it is within our charter to do a 1.2. We would need group consensus to do that. If we did do that it would need to be VERY small as we have far bigger issues that need to be addressed in our charter and many W3C members have been patiently waiting for us to finish ARIA 1.1 so that we can address them.

I can tell you that Joanie, myself, and others have spent a lot of time trying to get the “text”/ “static” role to something that would be acceptable and we have rehashed it since the original decision to move it to 2.0 twice. For me, personally, the technical issues were addressed in Joanie’s last draft.

>> This week we tied the too together for these reasons. It was the resolution to have a survey to move the static/text role to ARIA 2.0 and to decide which approach to take with the setting of the role description to null. Tie the two together and having the survey provided greater clarity for the group as to what they wanted todo.
>>
>> It is important that you also look at the previous week’s survey. The two are tied together. So, in this instance the group felt that the survey reflected what was necessary to reflect the groups decision and therefore the group is comfortable with the survey.
>>
>> As for what people would call the role of text - static or other name the group did not reach consensus on that for the call either. So, even the name is up in the air as is whether to support the text role. The group will decide what to do with text role, or whatever the group chooses to call it, in ARIA 2.0.
>
> I think many members the working group are still conflating the "role formerly known as text" with other roles related to text editing, when it's functionally more similar to a subclass of the image role. Regardless, we're in agreement for the time being that it's not on the table for 1.1.

ok.