W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > February 2016

Re: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG

From: Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:11:32 +0000
To: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>, "'Bryan Garaventa'" <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>, "'ARIA Working Group'" <public-aria@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D2EA21B8.500A1%jongund@illinois.edu>
Matt,

Is the ¡°onclick¡± issue something we should call out in the APG?

Jon


On 2/17/16, 2:50 AM, "Matt King" <a11ythinker@gmail.com> wrote:

>John, just to make sure this point is clear ...
>
>When using a Windows or Mac screen reader in reading mode, using the
>screen
>reader key for activating an element generates a click event. So, in
>Windows, even if the user pressed Enter or Space in reading mode, a click
>event is generated. With VoiceOver, the equivalent key is ctrl-opt-space.
>Or, if you have the arrow key toggles for quick nav turned on in OS10,
>simultaneous press of Up and Down in quick nav mode does the same thing as
>ctrl-opt-space.
>
>Matt
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com]
>Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 12:05 PM
>To: Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>; ARIA Working Group
><public-aria@w3.org>
>Subject: RE: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG
>
>Yes, this is true for any interactive widget, because key events aren't
>cross platform compatible by themselves.
>
>E.G If a widget can only be actionable by a key event listening for a
>Enter
>keypress or arrow key, then it won't be accessible on touch devices via
>touch or tap to click.
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Gunderson, Jon R [mailto:jongund@illinois.edu]
>Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 12:01 PM
>To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>; ARIA Working Group
><public-aria@w3.org>
>Subject: RE: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG
>
>Bryan,
>
>Ok.  Thanks for the feedback.
>So in general "onclick" events are "required" for supporting default
>actions
>for widgets?
>Jon
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com]
>Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 1:55 PM
>To: Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>; ARIA Working Group
><public-aria@w3.org>
>Subject: RE: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG
>
>I'm using JAWS in IE11.
>
>I see what the problem is I think, the button needs a redundant click
>handler that performs the same action as Enter and the Downarrow.
>Otherwise
>when you arrow to the button in the Virtual Buffer and press Enter,
>nothing
>happens because the screen reader is simulating a mouse click and not a
>keypress.
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Gunderson, Jon R [mailto:jongund@illinois.edu]
>Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 11:20 AM
>To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>; ARIA Working Group
><public-aria@w3.org>
>Subject: RE: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG
>
>Bryan,
>
>It does move focus to first menu item without any assistive technology,
>what
>is happening in your experience?
>Which assistive technologies are you using?
>
>Jon
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com]
>Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 1:15 PM
>To: Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>; ARIA Working Group
><public-aria@w3.org>
>Subject: RE: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG
>
>I'd recommend setting focus to the first role=menuitem element after the
>menu button is activated. Otherwise it sounds like nothing has occurred
>to a
>non-sighted screen reader user.
>
>Also this comes into play for touch device users, where if focus is
>automatically set, it is possible to then swipe Left/Right on iOS for
>example to navigate between the menu items, but if focus is left on the
>button, you have to manually hunt for where the menu is located on the
>screen.
>
>I'd also recommend adding a submenu example.
>
>All the best,
>Bryan
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Gunderson, Jon R [mailto:jongund@illinois.edu]
>Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 2:26 PM
>To: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
>Subject: Updated Menu Button Examples for APG
>
>
>This example uses a button element as the menu button and demonstrates a
>menu of ©øactions©÷:
>https://rawgit.com/jongund/aria/master/practices/examples/menu-button/menu

>-
>button-1.html
>
>This example uses a a element as the menu button and demonstrates a menu
>of
>©ølinks©÷:
>https://rawgit.com/jongund/aria/master/practices/examples/menu-button/menu

>-
>button-2.html
>
>
>Any comments about the operation, markup or the descriptions is welcome.
>
>Jon
>
>
>
>

Received on Wednesday, 17 February 2016 19:12:07 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:58:20 UTC