Re: ACTION-1490 proposal says good bye to the "inline" notion for combobox

On 2016-02-12 7:45 PM, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
> On the auto-complete question, I think the most confusing thing is
> that we’re using the term auto-complete for two very different things.
> Autocomplete=inline is an automatic completion of the text being typed.

Not quite.  "Inline" means that a *suggested completion* is added to the
text that the user typed, right after the text input cursor, and that
suggested text is selected (highlighted).  As an example, if the
combobox's list box holds the names of the U.S states, and the user has
type d"A", the inline suggested completion might be the selected string
"labama".  If there is no sugggested completion, the text entry contains
only an "A", with a blinking cursor after the "A".

> Autocomplete=list is something that we call an “auto-suggest.” They
> often coexist, but they don’t have to, and they’re quite different.

I found a Microsoft reference about autocompletion modes, although it
appears to be about UI patterns, rather than UIA states or properties
[1].  It defines "Autoappend" and "Autosuggest", where their definitions
match the ARIA values "inline" and "list" respectively.

Is there documentation defining how these two modes are represented in
UIA?  Right now, the UIA mapping of aria-autocomplete is uses
AriaProperties.

[1]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb776884%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#_SHELL_AC_MODES

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -