Re: ACTION-1490 proposal says good bye to the "inline" notion for combobox

The modal part is very important.

If you were to include a grid in a web page you can tab out of it. You don’t want that happening with a combobox in this context or definitely not in a dialog box. The popup needs to be associated with the combobox. Yet, it can’t be owned. We don’t want the user navigating in at dialog box associated with a combobox as you would actually be tabbing inside the dialog box anyway. We don’t want the user tabbing out. If we want to associate other widgets with the combobox we need to be consistent here as well.

Also, as Joseph points out we can’t use aria-activedescendant in a combobox if we have an object associated via aria-controls as it is indeed not a descendant.

To make things easier on the user the only way we should allow the user to get out of the combobox popup is via an escape. This is why I think whatever container we put the listbox, etc. in we make it modal. We also have to make it clear that aria-activedescendant will not work with an aria-controls relationship to the popup as it will not be a descendant.

Rich Schwerdtfeger