Re: ACTION-1490 proposal says good bye to the "inline" notion for combobox

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 15:10:35 -0500
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>
Cc: Matt King <mck@fb.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Hi Bryan,

On 2016-02-11 1:03 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> The use of aria-controls in this case solves the issue by setting an explicit association, and aria-activedescendant works in identifying the referenced node that is active.

There may still be a problem -- I am investigating.  The Core-AAM
describes an algorithm associated with aria-activedescendant that user
agents MUST execute in order to mark the potential active descendants as
focusable.  In summary, when the user agent encounters a container with
an aria-activedescendant attribute, the user agent must visit all
descendants of the container and determine if they could be the target
of the container's aria-activedescendant.  The user agent must expose a
focusable state for each such target, and only for those descendants
that are targets.

Here "descendants" means either a DOM descendant of the container, or
one referenced by aria-owns.  This procedure won't succeed for combobox
containers if aria-controls is used instead of aria-owns.

A way to patch this is to run the exact same algorithm but base it on
aria-controls if aria-owns is not used.  However, that requires buy-in
from all user agents, and tests cases for the ARIA test harness.

> I'm getting confused by the reference to modal dialogs. This isn't a modal dialog, it's a Listbox, and focus is never meant to leave the element that includes role=combobox. So what does the modal dialog have to do with it?

Matt's new definition of combobox includes drop-downs that contain a
grid, a treegrid, or a dialog instead of a listbox.  When Rich discussed
this with Freedom Scientific, they were willing to handle such cases,
but only if the drop-down was modal.  The thread starts here:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Feb/0151.html

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Drau├čen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -