RE: APG Landmark Design Pattern Update and Questions related to Banner and Contenting landmarks

From: Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 10:03:19 -0000
To: "'Gunderson, Jon R'" <jongund@illinois.edu>, "'Matt King'" <a11ythinker@gmail.com>, "'James Nurthen'" <james.nurthen@oracle.com>, <public-aria@w3.org>
From: Gunderson, Jon R [mailto:jongund@illinois.edu]
"I like the steps since I think it helps at least some people have a
starting point for understanding landmarks and they are much more streamline
than the steps in APG 1.0"

Steps are definitely useful. I just think we can make them much shorter and
simpler.

" I am not sure why using the analogy of a “Table of Contents” is getting so
much resistance, since it is something that most people can understand and
help people to understand what landmarks can do.   I think where the analogy
breaks down is that it is not useful when people get into sub sections, so
maybe there is a better way to describe the analogy as a “high level table
of contents of the content regions on the page”."

It is a concept most people understand, but not one that most people
associate with web pages. It is something that sits at the top of a document
or the start of a book, it isn't something that's found on websites other
than those presenting long documents or books.

I use landmarks wherever they're available and don't think of them in terms
of a ToC. I think of them as points within a page that I can navigate to.
Other screen reader users on list may disagree of course!

Léonie.

--

@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem