Re: ACTION-1490 Combobox enhancement proposal ready for review at today's meeting

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 11:34:36 -0500
To: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
On 2016-02-04 7:13 AM, Matt King wrote:
> 3. Specify authors SHOULD use aria-controls but MAY use aria-owns to
> specify the relationship between the input and the popup.

I have nothing against establishing a conroller-for/controlled-by
relationship, but ignoring the parent/child relationship is odd. A
combobox is defined as a combination of a text entry and listbox [1].

If the listbox is not a child of the combobox, what is its parent? There
will be a listbox accessible in the a11y tree and it will have some
parent.  The use of aria-owns is reflected in ATK and IA2 by
establishing a parent-of/child-of inverse relationship between the
combobox parent and the listbox child that overrides the tree hierarchy
(note:  IE/Edge actually reorganizes the tree, and FF is considering
doing the same).

The listbox as a child of the combobox makes more sense than some other
unrelated accessible parent.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_box

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -