RE: Why is aria-expanded invalid with a checkbox?

James Nurthen wrote:
>Remember that wcag is not just for screen reader users.
>There are potentially issues for users with cognitive disabilities as well as potential issues for screen magnifier users
>if focus gets moved when checking a checkbox.

I was specifically questioning the notion that users need advanced notice if a checkbox opens a dialog. And, for the reasons I provided, I doubt we have evidence that any person with any kind of disability would derive benefit from advanced notice when a checkbox opens a dialog. In fact, I am arguing that there is an equal chance that advanced notice will impair perception of the content of the UI for many users.

If we do not have evidence from research, can anyone spell out a specific scenario that demonstrates how a specific class of people would experience problems because a checkbox opens a dialog when checked? Consider the mute implementation I mentioned. Instead of implementing the ARIA checkbox markup, a 100% WCAG-proof approach would have been to give the element that opens the mute dialog role button and aria-lable of "Mute ...". Then, if the conversation is muted, the label would become "Unmute". I did not press engineering for such a change to the ARIA markup in that UI because I couldn't identify any real-world advantage for any class of user that would have been gained from the work. If someone can identify such an advantage, then I would gladly make sure that developers never trigger a dialog from a checkbox state change.

On the other hand, I completely agree that a checkbox that jumps focus to another part of the page will, in nearly all cases, create issues that clearly violate the WCAG intent and cause problems for some people.

Matt