From: Schnabel, Stefan [mailto:stefan.schnabel@sap.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:13 AM
To: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>; Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Question about ARIA 1.1 haspopup attribue

Hi Matt, Bryan,

a discussion came up here how to signal to blind users that a control with an ARIA role has a custom (non-standard) context menu (a menu representing all functionality associated with a control, not a list with values).

I am not talking about menu buttons here where the aria-haspopup pattern is an integral part of the concept. I am talking about checkboxes, links etc.

Is ARIA 1.1 aria-haspopup="menu" here nevertheless aproppriate?  If not, is there annother mechanism using ARIA to indicate custom *context* menus?

Or isn't that needed since we once discussed that form elements doesn't need extra haspopup indication since they always have a (default) browser context menu associated? I mean there is a design principle "Don't report normalcy" and this I consider this relevant to be pointed out.

Best Regards + have a great christmas!
Stefan