Re: Proposal and Justification for ARIA 1.2 (Was: text role removal)

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 8:29 AM, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com> wrote:
>
> Hey James, all.
>
> +1 to a small, focused ARIA 1.2 release
> +1 to continuing to work towards a solution for text/static
> -1 to adding a deprecated-but-valid synonym role called "text"
>
> One of the biggest problems (in my mind) with the "text" rolename is
> that it implies the element's contents will be turned into textual
> content. That is NOT what it does. And I would argue it does the
> complete opposite, with "untext" being a more accurate reflection of the
> role's purpose for elements which lack an accessible name, and
> "deletetext" for those elements which have an accessible name.
>
> Beyond the above, adding a deprecated-from-the-start alias to a spec
> strikes me as odd. Adding a deprecated-from-the-start
> potentially-confusing alias to a spec strikes me as wrong. Sorry....

Certainly. It would have been more appropriate to include the replacement role name in 1.1 rather than removing it with no replacement, but that ship has sailed, too.

As a compromise, we could include a note that clarifies the following:

ARIA 1.1 drafts had a "text" role that was used for a similar function.
It was removed due to …
It's likely to remain as an alias in WebKit (and possibly Blink) b/c removing it would break sites.
It's okay for sites with existing use to use role="newname oldname" as a fallback to ensure ongoing support.

> I think it's awesome that Simon did this research for us. Thank you for
> asking him to. Let's notify the jQuery folks

Recommending they remove it now will break their current implementation. They should not remove it until there is an suitable replacement, and then, they should use the existing as a fallback role: e.g. role="static text"... Once the new role name is in the spec, we can spread the word.

> and Bed, Bath, and Beyond

Are you really going to notify 600 sites? George Washington University (gwu.edu) was one of them, too.

> that the "text" role has been removed from the draft spec, will not be
> in 1.1, but will likely come back with a new name and clearer
> documentation in ARIA next.

Please don't alert the public that their "will be" a replacement until there is a spec to point them to.

> I also think that any user agent which wishes to keep their support for
> the "text" role should continue to do so. I honestly don't want to break
> sites (even those which took a risk on adding non-REC attributes to
> production sites). I simply don't want to increase the potential number
> of sites using (perhaps incorrectly, as a result of confusion) the
> "text" role, or ask user agents to add support for it if it is not
> already in place.

That's fair. Cheers.