Re: authoring guidelines in aria-keyshortcuts

Matt,

1. I agree. That is why it is worded the way it is: "Authors SHOULD avoid keyboard shortcuts that are used by supported assistive technologies running on the intended operating system platforms.”

“intended” operating systems and “supported” assistive technologies is in there for a reason. If you are writing a web application you need to test with an assistive technology. Those that you support on the targeted operating system should be what the author should be directed to do. We cannot expect the author to support everything on the planet.

2. I agree. That is why it is written as a SHOULD and not a MUST. It is worded as:

"Authors SHOULD avoid using keyboard shortcuts that are used by the user agent. Implementing keyboard shortcuts that conflict with the user agent, will result in a loss of user agent functionality.”

3. Here we disagree. Every operating system has its own set of keys that are stolen. If the author is writing a web page and does not test for each OS platform they are targeting that is a problem. Sometimes people test on only one platform.

Many designers look at the ARIA specs. In fact when they don’t think about the page semantically we get accessibility added late in the process further driving up costs. UX designers at IBM have started provided  keyboard implementations in their designs. I just saw this from the Verse design team this past week based on the discussion with the CSS Working Group at CSUN regarding Flexbox. The author is required to implement what the designer asked and this is a vehicle for exposing the documentation to the user. We are looking at creating new tools for designers to make this easier for them to expose the keyboard design to developers.

Sorry, but you have not made a compelling argument and Apple has also provided feedback that these issues needed to be addressed.

If you do not plan on addressing these issues then I definitely don’t want this guidance in the design guide. So, before I agree you need to show me a section of the authoring practices guide that includes guidance like this. Otherwise, I do not support taking it out.

Also, if we want to make more references to the Authoring Practices we need a standard way of doing that in the ARIA spec. My concern is that the authoring practices is not a normative document. It is more of a living document where content changes. We can’t have broken links in a normative spec. Also, moving all the authoring guidance this late in ARIA 1.1’s development is a concern. I would rather consider that for an ARIA 1.2. … IOW I like the idea but we would need to do this throughout the document to put this in a normal flow for developers and designers. Neither the HTML or SVG specs. do this today. We would be a first to do it. We also need to address necessary RFC SHOULDs and MUSTS for an authoring guide.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger