From: Schnabel, Stefan [mailto:stefan.schnabel@sap.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:46 PM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: Michiel Bijl <michiel@agosto.nl>; Léonie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>; Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>; mzehe@mozilla.com; ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>; Protocols and Formats Working Group <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Does double announced content bother screen reader users?

Hi Bryan,

double announcements with Jaws occur often.

We should *not* be content solving label for cat issues in static tables with minor interactivity (although this is a valid use case). The problem layer is deeper.

Putting a form element in a table cell and expecting cross-platform accessibility by magic with a tad of Aria-labelling is NOT a clever future approach for HTML5.

The entire thing suffers from the impossibility to provide a normative common cross browser cross platform cross screen reader approach for data tables with interactive editable complex cell content. Checkbox in a cell is just the beginning and even this causes issues, as we see.

Although this is annoying, I think this is nothing an author can do better using the current  table accessibility model. This is what I hear mantra-like from our web developers all of the time. Instead,  IMHO, Jaws and browser should handle this internally, but nobody defines exactly how.

I just want to state: if you have suceeded creating a solution for your editable interactive table using keyboard interaction concept or additional virtual nav which runs fine in Firefox / IE with Jaws and you take the term "web app runs everywhere" serious and open the app in iOS with VoiceOver exploring by touch your data grid you are immediately thrown in annother universe that follows different rules. Not the cell is prime, but content of cell is, and you have to rearrange relationships, think about dataset and rowcol pos again where to put that in the DOM and so on.

But this is not the fault of iOS or the screen readers or any party involved alone. It is the result of many years of ignorance of *all* parties involved to demand and establish a standard editable hierarchical data grid for web applications. Aria grid and treegid roles started to address this, but it will still need years to come until we have major homogenization accross all platforms and user agents, and frankly, I believe, if not even the HTML HOST language delivers a solution, the situation will never improve.

Are we in the same camp with this opinion?

Best Regards
Stefan

Sent from my iPad