Re: How the W3C Text Alternative Computation Works

Hi Brian, am unclear about the example using visbility:hidden

The Name for this edit field is “Country”, and the Description is “Choose
> the country where you currently reside.”
>
> The reason for this, is that the naming calculation allows for
> aria-labelledby and aria-describedby to reference hidden elements, however
> this is only true if it is the referenced element or one of its parent
> elements that is hidden. This is possible here using display:none, because
> this CSS property is not inheritable, and thus is not applied to the child
> span element.

The following examples demonstrate this difference:

>   Email address:
>   <input aria-labelledby="parentId" type="text" />
>     Error: A valid email address is required.

I don't see in the spec[1] where the difference between CSS display:none
and CSS visbility:hidden is defined. In  IE and Firefox on windows and
chrome,safari, etc on iOS the description is exposed and is announced
test file:
http://codepen.io/stevef/pen/LGZQvr

note: tabindex="-1" is added to the hidden div for IE, this is due to a
known limitation of IE's support for aria-describedby.

I also don't think your interpration is helpful as it adds another level of
complexity to an already complex algorithm. There should be no difference
between the effect of display:none and visibility:hidden on accessible name
calculation

[1] rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/accname-aam/accname-aam.html

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C