From: Hadi Rangin <hadir@uw.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 5:12 PM
To: public-aria-at@w3.org
Subject: Engaging stakeholders in the testing process

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Michael Cooper/Matt King, and Jon Gunderson I have now access to
the test harness and got a tour in it.

Earlier today, I looked into the menubar test case and tested the first task
with Chrome and Jaws and NVDA. Assuming the menubar test code  has been done
correctly, I am not getting the expected outcome. This would mean that
either the browser and/or the screen readers are not doing the job properly.

While I have no problem recording my observation, I strongly believe that
both screen reader and browser makers should be part of this process to see
first-hand how the information is rendered and trace any potential bugs in
their system so they can fix the issues as we go. I understand that we want
to record our findings but I believe our main goal is to help them to
produce the expected output. If it is the main goal, I think we can achieve
it a lot sooner and easier if they become part of this testing process.

Maybe I haven't understood the mission of this group but for me it is a
typical collaboration that we have with various software companies. I always
have them work and engage them in the testing process. It would be great if
we can use a few minutes of our next meeting to talk why they are not
engaged in this process.

As I was using the test site, I noticed that the Assign me button in the
Test Queue page is rendered by Jaws and NVDA as:

"Assign me to the test run function(){var
e=this.props,t=e.apgExampleName,n=e.atName,r=e.browserName;return"".concat(t
," for ").concat(n," on ").concat(r)}"

unfortunately, My student and I were not able to save my test results. We
clicked on it with Enter, space and mouse and I even screamed at it but it
didn't help! We took a screenshot from our test result for the case it is
needed.

I am also wondering if the team has any objection to switch to a more
accessible conferencing tool like Zoom.

Thanks,

Hadi