Re: Level property

Personally, I don’t think it would add much. But as we do seem to be caught up on the importance of describing a physical thing (an item) I thought it was a feasible option.

On the Hub we normalise level values on ingest….probably 80% of values are already in this controlled list (although case varies) but archivists are also fond of sub sub and sub sub sub levels, which adds to inconsistency. And then ‘otherlevel’ allows you to specify….whatever you want.  This is in EAD obviously, and many repositories don’t think in terms of EAD at all, but it does tend to reflect the reality of cataloguing - I’ve seen it all reflected in systems like Calm and AdLib as well. EAD just adds tags to what is already there.

It is only really Fonds that carries meaning….but I have to say that it’s sometimes used incorrectly, so I guess I am rather shooting down this idea myself! It was only really because it gives the option -  and of course, individual repositories might want to provide this information and they might have good consistent levels to apply.

I would not vote for adding it, but if others on the list are keen to have a means to represent the level being described, I assume it would be easy to add.

cheers
Jane