Re: Archive Collection and Archived Item

Hi Giovanni,

I know it can be sometimes difficult for folks to get their head around
some of the idiosyncrasiessses  of the Schema,org vocabulary.

Part of the problem is that it is a vocabulary of types and properties to
be used to describe things, not an ontology to define them.  This is one of
the reasons that they are described as Types and not Classes.

For example, a photograph would be described using the Photograph type
wherever it is.  A photograph that is also an item within an archive
however, has certain attributes that you would want to describe that are to
do with it being in an archive (its archived-ness) - at least the archive
it is partOf.  To indicate this your markup would sow that it is both a
Photograph and an ArchivedItem.

The fact that certain types are subtypes of others, in Schema, is more to
do with them sharing common properties than with an inheritance of concepts.

ArchivedItem theoretically could be a direct subtype of Thing, but it is
made a subtype of Intangible as direct subtypes of Thing are not encouraged
in Schema.  Using it to extend the description capabilities of a
Photograph, Document, Product etc., does not infer that the thing itself is
intangible, it is just using a descriptive type from the vocabulary.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com