Re: Archive Collection and Archived Item

Hi Jane,

I would stick to the definition of ArchiveCollection, which is "A
collection and/or archive of physical or digital items."
(http://archive.sdo-archive.appspot.com/ArchiveCollection).

The Archival Extension doesn't define what an archive is (as a set of
objects--an archive is either an institution or an organization,
according to the definition of Archive). However, it is quite clear that
the definition of ArchiveCollection intends to cover any aggregation of
items, that is, the term 'archive' in the definition is used in a very
generic sense. Therefore, a fonds, a series, a subseries, a collection,
a set of sparsed objects may all be subsumed under ArchiveCollection
according to the its definition.

Using a single class to identify any type of aggregations (including no
aggregation at all) is consistent with the most relevant archival
standards: ISAD uses "Unit of description" and EAD uses "Component".
Recently, ICA proposed a draft model (RiC) where they identified two
classes, Record and RecordSet (along with RecordComponent), which is a
bit different from the other models, yet is based on a single class
identifying any aggregation--that is, no need for fonds, series, etc.
We can discuss whether we need to distinguish between the single item
and its aggregations, or it is better to just stick to a simpler model,
ie "Component" like in EAD. However, going to your questions, I don't
see any problem in considering both your examples as being instantiated
under ArchiveCollection. The same for the properties.

I don't understand very well why ArchiveCollection is a sub-class of
ArchivedItem in the Extension, so I share your doubts.

As I wrote in some earlier message, I have many doubts about this model.
For this reason, I started investigating it further with some colleagues
of InterPARES Trust, in order to provide some systematic comments on the
Archival Extension. My aim is to share the comments in a month.

Regards

Giovanni