Re: Proposal for an 'Archive' Type

From: Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 11:50:20 +0100
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Cc: Mike Jones <majones1976@gmail.com>, Ingrid Mason <ingrid.b.mason@gmail.com>, "Mark A. Matienzo" <mark.matienzo@gmail.com>, "public-architypes@w3.org" <public-architypes@w3.org>, "dan@coffeecode.net" <dan@coffeecode.net>
On 3 August 2015 at 11:01, Stian Soiland-Reyes <
soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> There is nothing stopping SOME individual Archives from also being
> LocalBusiness - without imposing this on all Archives.

Very true - as with all of Schema.org - it provides a set of *potential*
types and properties that *can* be used to describe your resources,
organisations, people, etc.

> I don't want to make online archives like our own workflow archive (if
> you like) http://myexperiment.org/ pretend to be a Local Business,
> because to be honest I don't even know where our own service "is" - it
> is currently hosted by University Oxford and Manchester in unison.

Entirely understandable - you would expect to describe the archive itself
(see the thread on ArchiveCollection) and optionally associate it with the
responsible/owning organisation if that makes sense.  That organization may
well not be one that defines itself as an Archive, it might be a Library,
some academic institution, or commercial organization.

~Richard