RE: [whatwg] Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

(Moved to a more appropriate list.)

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, David Orchard wrote:

> I'm glad to see a disciplined focus on requirements, and I would have
> liked to have seen it applied to the WAF Access Control for Cross-site
> requests.  It seems pretty contradictory to say in the HTML working
> group that a "working solution" like SVG shouldn't be assumed, but then
> in WAF to violently oppose talking about requirements when the "solution
> is done" before the requirements were even written down.  I'll have to
> remember the line about "prematurely limiting options being not fair to
> the web authoring community".

There were requirements for Access Control, they just weren't written
down. For HTML I rarely write down the requirements either, but in this
particular case there were so many e-mails to go through to collect the
use cases that writing them down was the only sensible way to go (in total
I've carefully read over 410 e-mails on this topic). For the Access
Control stuff the people working on it when it was first being designed
were all clear on what the requirements were, so there was no need for
them to be written down. (They have, of course, been retroactively written
down for the benefit of those reviewing the spec at this late stage.)