Re: Widgets 1.0 - widget settings: publishing / modifications

Hi Marcos,

It's clear. As long as settings are not considered as part of a widget there is of course no need in <setting name="" default="" type=""/> element or event-based change notification mechanism (that makes sense only in case whose settings could be modified from the Widget runtime UI).

But then you would not need the already added to the specification "preferenceForKey / setPreferenceForKey" API. You could rather use storage object defined in HTML5.

However i still think there is a need for the mentioned additions. Whose would cover dashboard-like Widget runtime requirements (most of such runtimes make use of them), while leaving widget developer an opportunity to implement the settings management customly.

Sergey/

Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sergey,

I've thought about it some more and I don't think we need a custom
event model for preferences. The preference UI is just going to be
created with HTML/Script anyway so the author has full explicit
control over all changes (unlike Yahoo! Widgets, which uses a custom
preferences UI so preference-change events make sense). Instead,
developers can build a simple wrapper around preference getting and
setting.. eg:

PrefManager = {
  hasPref: function(key){.... true or false...},
  setPref: function(key, value){ ... setPreferenceForKey(), broadcast
event to listeners... },
  getPref: function(key){ ... get key.....},
  deletePref: function(key){... broadcast custom change event....},
  subscribe: function(callback) { ... ... },
  unsubscribe: function(someFunction){  ... like using addEventListener... },
  //you can get fancy too
  watchKey: function(someKey, callback){ ... ...},
  ..and so on....
}

I think this is simpler, more flexible, and meets the use case. What
do you think?

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au

 Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! for Good