Re: [widgets-reqs] re: JavaVM as widget engine (Comment 7) (was: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209)

On 5/3/07, Grassel Guido (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki) <guido.grassel@nokia.com> wrote:

> Marcos, WG,
>
> On 5/2/07 7:54 AM, "ext Marcos Caceres" <m.caceres@qut.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > As an aside, you raise a point that we seem to be continuously
> > encountering: that is, what exactly is a widget? In technical terms,
> > the widget specification will probably define a widget as a packaged
> > collection of files that may include an optional manifest file capable
> > of being extracted and instantiated on a widget engine. The definition
> > itself does not speak of functionality/experience afforded by a
> > widget. I guess widget engine is any software capable of extracting,
> > processing, and presenting a conforming widget package. We don't
> > expect our definition of a widget to match a user's experience or
> > definition of a widget.
>
> Could we limit what a Widget it by saying:
> - A Widget always has a user interface.

I would be reluctant to say that a widget "always" has a user
interface. I can envision widgets being run as services that contact
web services based on system events but don't necessarily have a user
interface (although the widget engine will usually provide a UI to
start and close a widget). Eg: an intranet widget that monitors CPU
usage on a computer and contacts a hard-coded URL if the CPU usage
goes over a certain threshold.
The bootstrapped file might just contain:

<!doctype html>
<script src="Resources/cpumonitor.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I would be fine with saying that widgets *generally* have a user
interface, or something to that effect.

> - The user interface is defined by means of some markup documents that can
> dynamically be modified by a scripting language. -- I wonder if the TAG has
> created some prose that is language independent and could be referred to
> from the definition of  what is a Widget.

I am unaware of such text, but I'll try to take a look. Anyone else know?

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au