Re: [widgets-reqs] re: JavaVM as widget engine (Comment 7) (was: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-widgets-reqs-20070209)

Marcos, WG,

On 5/2/07 7:54 AM, "ext Marcos Caceres" <m.caceres@qut.edu.au> wrote:

> As an aside, you raise a point that we seem to be continuously
> encountering: that is, what exactly is a widget? In technical terms,
> the widget specification will probably define a widget as a packaged
> collection of files that may include an optional manifest file capable
> of being extracted and instantiated on a widget engine. The definition
> itself does not speak of functionality/experience afforded by a
> widget. I guess widget engine is any software capable of extracting,
> processing, and presenting a conforming widget package. We don't
> expect our definition of a widget to match a user's experience or
> definition of a widget.

Could we limit what a Widget it by saying:
- A Widget always has a user interface.
- The user interface is defined by means of some markup documents that can
dynamically be modified by a scripting language. -- I wonder if the TAG has
created some prose that is language independent and could be referred to
from the definition of  what is a Widget.

Kind Regards
- Guido

-----
Guido Grassel, Nokia Research Center, guido.grassel@nokia.com