Re: [XBL] Case Sensitivity of Namespace Prefixes

Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2007, at 15:14, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>   Since the CSSWG recently resolved [1] to let the case sensitivity of
>> namespace prefixes in selectors be defined by the mechanism used to
>> declare them, I think you should make namespace prefixes for selectors
>> used in XBL, which are declared using xmlns, be case sensitive.
>
> An alternative but potentially more fruitful and certainly more relaxing
> approach would be to take a solid iron bar and visit every single member
> of the CSS WG responsible this braindead decision and try to knock the
> stupidity out of them, until they revert it. After all, the process says
> consensus, it doesn't say how.

I think you might have misunderstood either the decision they made or my
proposal.

It's a good decision because it lets each application of selectors
decide whether to use case sensitive or insensitive prefixes, instead of
being forced to use insensitive.  Case sensitive makes implementation
easier, since UAs don't need to worry about trying to implement
Unicode's complex case folding rules.

That means we're no longer forced to use case insensitive namespace
prefixes in selectors in XBL, since they're declared using xmlns which
is case sensitive.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/