Re: Aligning grouping of resources in POWDER and WAF Access Control.

Apologies for my tardy response, I've now had a chance to consider this
thread a little more and review the relevant discussion (other POWDER WG
members may want to chime in too of course!).

It goes without saying that there are important differences in what WAF
Access Control and POWDER are trying to do. It's not surprising
therefore that we're taking different approaches.

POWDER is trying to make it easy (and desirable) for content providers
to make claims and assertions about their material. That sentence alone
has the lawyers salivating. "You mean we're going to say in public that
all our content is accessible? What's our liability if some of it isn't?
Will some people try and pin other people's mistakes on us?" and so on.
Therefore, step one to making this acceptable is making sure that even a
lawyer can understand that it is easy to restrict any and all claims
made to something that their client explicitly owns. So, if you're in
the legal team at example.com, you want to be sure that claims are only
about that domain.

 From a POWDER perspective therefore, the default position is that
example.org matches both www.example.org and example.org. What this
discussion has made me realise is that we need to be explicit in our
documentation that it DOES NOT match badexample.org - i.e. a different
domain altogether.

Like WAF, we have an exclude method as well so we can say:

<wdr:includeHosts>example.org example.com</wdr:includeHosts>
<wdr:excludeHosts>private.example.org</wdr:excludeHosts>

(which means everything on example.org and example.com except resources
on private.example.org). The assumption being that someone describing a
load of content would know what they wanted to leave out.

So the general approach has been, as ever, that simple things will be
simple (we own example.com so that's the scope of this description) but
that complex situations can also be handled (you can write a Reg Ex if
you need to)

I wonder whether some earlier work that Mark Nottingham did might be
adapted, see section 3.22. of URISpace [1]. There he uses both ? and *
as different wildcard characters and posits that:

?.example.com

matches

   www.example.com
   foo.example.com

but not

   example.com
   www.foo.example.com

while

*.example.com

   will match

   foo.example.com
   www.foo.example.com

but still not

   example.com

It's that last point that, for me anyway, makes this more correct, yes,
but also more difficult to use. Would WAF be able to specify that:

?.example.com meant 'example.com and all its subdomains'

*.example.com meant all subdomains of example.com but not example.com
itself??

This is obviously a change from what Mark did originally but might it
solve the problem??

As for Jonas' other point - what else could/should we share. Well,
access control is clearly an application of what we're doing, whether
that's in terms of licensing or my own area of child protection. I guess
it's a question of use cases.

Our Resource Grouping mechanism has to cope with being able to cover
everything from multiple Web sites through to individual resources; we
also support resource grouping by property, not just URI, so there's a
lot there. *IF* there is a sufficient use case within the WAF's purview
to warrant such flexibility then there would be a case for an HTTP
Header/XML PI that pointed to a POWDER-style Resource Set or maybe even
a full Description Resource??

On a more mundane level, one of us needs to write the pattern matching
syntax and the other one needs to point to it! As pointed to before,
we're defining a bunch of XML data types [under development at 2] and
can readily include one for this if desired.

Phil.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/urispace
[2] http://www.dicom.uninsubria.it/~andrea.perego/powder/?doc=xsd