Re: [XBL] - please remove reference to HTML5

On 11/01/2007, at 10:35 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> Regarding (2):  You say: "Do you have a pointer?" Are you asking
>> for a
>> pointer to Dean's email (if so, it's earlier in the same thread),
>> or are
>> you asking for a pointer to the fact that it is inappropriate to
>> include a normative reference to specs that change at the whim of
>> the authors? If the latter, sorry, I don't have a pointer, but I
>> expect somewhere in the
>> standards world somehow has written up something to this effect.
>> It's just common sense and accepted practice. Without this, the
>> standards world would have chaos.
>
> I'm not convinced.

I'm not sure convincing you of this makes much difference. The reason
for the request is what Jon mentions below: that HTML5 doesn't have a
formal process or patent policy (amongst other things). For those
simple reasons, it is inappropriate and potentially dangerous to
normatively reference the specification.

If HTML5 was published by a recognised standards body with a clear
royalty-free licensing arrangement then it would be acceptable to
reference it.

Dean