Re: Widgets 1.0

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:36:05 +0100, Marcos Caceres <m.caceres@qut.edu.au>
wrote:

> I don't see why you could not embed a widget into a page using, say, a
> HTML object element? In theory, the scope of the widget should not
> conflict with the window scope of the web page (same as an iframe or a
> flash movie). Could you please clarify your concerns a bit more?

Correct, the window object in the widget would be the same reference to
the window object any object or iframe has.  Note that there are a few
methods you would not expect to work if an in-page widget was running,
such as moveTo or resizeTo, but the same applies for any object with a
window object (*ML documents in object/iframe).

> On 2/22/07, Stephen Paul Weber <singpolyma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Widgets draft <http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/> seems to be meant for
>> offline widgets (ala Google Desktop).  After inspection it does not seem
>> that it could even be 100% used because it defines a window object to be
>> accessible to the widget representing the widget's window (which
>> conflicts
>> with the browser window object representing the browser window).

The bigger problem, if you're looking to embed these widgets in web pages
is the security model of widgets, that allow for cross-domain
XMLHttpRequest.
--
Arve Bersvendsen, Web Applications Developer