Re: [ac] Updates to Access-Control document

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:32:16 +0100, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org> wrote:
> Yes.  Here's a slightly pathologic example that might make the
> difference clear:
>
>    allow http://*.org/   except http://www.*/
>    allow http://www.example.org/
>
> In this example, www.example.org is actually permissible, according
> to the scheme that I had proposed.

It would be allowed anyway, as * matches a single label... Note also that
the trailing solidus is not actually allowed and puts the thing in error...

But yeah, I can see a case for having them paired. I don't really feel
strongly about this either way, except that this seems to make things
slightly more complicated.

> (Actually, I'm having second thoughts about the matching of a
> wildcard-label.  Should that only match one label or possibly an
> entire subdomain?  Something's fishy there.)

Not sure.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>