Re: I18N issues for Widgets Spec [Was: Re: [Widgets] ASCII File names - request for comments]

* Martin Duerst wrote:
>Otherwise, I agree with Bjoern's conclusions except his very last
>one, "authors are best off if they avoid non-ASCII names". In this
>day and age, authors more and more assume that file names in various
>languages just work. The zip spec does a good job making this possible
>using UTF-8. It's a pitty that some implementations are not up to the job.

How are you disagreeing with what I said? Right now and for the forsee-
able future using non-ASCII names, especially names using characters not
covered by CP437, do not work well in combination with ZIP archives, so
authors who want to have their content work properly are best off not
using them. If you want to give practical advise, you would say that at
the time of writing, non-ASCII names are unreliable. That's not unusal
for web authors, non-ASCII names don't work well "over HTTP" either.