Re: [XBL Primer] new scenarios

Hi Jose,
On 4/16/07, José Manuel Cantera Fonseca <jmcf@tid.es> wrote:
> + You talk about Web Forms 2. As far as I know it is not clear that Web
> Forms 2 is something to be adopted by W3C. The Forms Task Force is
> working on XFORMS Transitional [1]. I think the example should avoid
> using any Web Forms 2 syntax.

AFAIK, the HTML working group will be working on Web Forms 2.0 so
there probably more chance of it becoming a part of HTML5 (and
actually being implemented into browsers). Seems illogical to me to
have transitional technology to something that will be incompatible
with the web (XForms).

> + You talk about HTML 5. The former comment also applies here. At the
> moment it is not clear if the W3C is going to adopt the WHATWG proposal
> or not. So, IMHO, the examples should be neutral and be built upon HTML
> 4.01 or XHTML 1.1.

You are right, at this point HTML 5 has not been adopted. However, we
expect it will be adopted in the next week or so. Given that HTML 5 is
backwards compatible with HTML4.01 I don't see it as a big problem.
Also, also I'm fairly sure XHTML5 will be backwards compatible with
XHTML1.0 so no harm is done.

> + Example 4 is something within the domain of a content adaptation tool
> and not in the domain of XBL. This comment may be applied to other
> examples, I think the Primer should not create confusion in authors and
> lead them to think that XBL is something intended to avoid the usage of
> a content adaptation platform.

XBL is a real-time content adaptation tool. In fact, it's seems to me
way more flexible and easier to use than something like XSLT. I think
most developers would want content adaptation based on media queries
or user input without having to defer processing to a content
adaptation platform.

> + I miss an example devoted to the extension of an existing UI
> component. IMHO, this is an important application of XBL, IMHO even more
> important that the content adaptation applications you are suggesting.

Scenario 2 will cover this.

> Thanks and best wishes
Thanks!

--