Re: XBL media type?

On 8/23/06, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net> wrote:

> (And to answer Ian's question as to why you might want to have such an
> XSLT file--how about a transform for creating XBL from HTC?)

HTC isn't XML, so it's not clear to me how this would work. Even if it
was, e.g. if you were converting RCC to XBL, XSLT still wouldn't be a
sane way of doing it. And even if it was sane, there would still never
be a problem, because you wouldn't ever point an XBL UA at the XSLT
stylesheet containing the XBL in a way that the XBL UA would be
looking for bindings. And even if you did, there wouldn't be a
problem, because the fact that the document is XSLT instead of XBL
would cause any number of parts of the binding to be flagged as in
error and ignored, so there'd be no little or no harm done. And even
in the extremely unlikely case of an XBL UA being given an XSLT
document containing XBL that _isn't_ in error and attempting to
display some content in it, the worst that could happen is that the
document doesn't make much sense. Which is exactly what happens today
if you look at an XSLT document which has, say, XHTML in it.

I would assume that the XSLT spec would say that if its attributes
were present on a root element, indicating that the document was
really a transformation sheet, the semantics of those elements would
be neutered, anyway. Does XSLT not say this?

And finally, despite all this, note that this doesn't suggest XBL
needs a MIME type, since XSLT already has a MIME type, and thus you
can already distinguish XSLT from XBL.

But if people really want to register a MIME type for XBL, go ahead...
it doesn't affect the spec or UA compliance in any way. Feel tree to
register as many types as you like. :-)

--
Ian Hickson