Requiring specific versions of dependencies (Was: XBL in CSS)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, T.V Raman wrote:
> Ian Hickson writes:
> > This allows all these technologies to develop in parallel, with UAs
> > supporting the versions that the market demand pushes them to support.
>
> Which effectively makes interoperability impossible, since each vendor
> will go off and support his favorite version snapshot -- and claim
> "that's the market demand" --- and in practice everyone will try to be
> bug-compatible with the majority market-holder. That is of course the
> status-quo --- but if it is the status-quo -- then one needn't bother
> with specs anyway ...

The alternative seems to be to just have the spec require a particular
level, but I see no reason to believe that Web browser vendors would pay
the slightest attention to such a requirement. Certainly it hasn't had any
effect on any of the other technologies that browsers support -- they all
support apparently arbitrary subsets of CSS, HTML, SVG, DOM, HTTP,
Selectors, etc.

The other problem with requiring specific levels of support is that it is
quite likely that, for shared technologies like Selectors, different
specifications would end up requiring different levels. How would such
conflicts be resolved?