Re: Decouple XBL2 From CSS

On 8/3/06, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> Providing multiple languages would double the load on implementors,
> implementations, testers, documentors, and me [...]

Only if the languages were required.  A selector syntax is pretty core
to XBL, and I agree with you that it would be overly burdensome on
implementations to require support for multiple syntaxes.  So I'm
happy that the default be CSS selectors, since it's the most widely
understood selector syntax that exists today.

But I see no reason why other selector syntaxes couldn't be supported.
 If an author wanted to use XPath, we'd just need a hook to let them,
something like;

<xbl:binding selectorType="xpath" element="/foo/bar[2]" > ...

Support of XPath would be optional, of course, so the implementation
burden on those who just want to support the default, CSS, would be
negligible.  The specification, test cases and documentation for
selectorType should be trivial too.

Mark.