Re: Clarification on the notion of "Second Screen"?

Dear Janina,

Thanks for the response.

Your question applies to the Remote Playback API and the Open Screen
Protocol on top of which the Remote Playback API may be built. I confirm
that the Open Screen Protocol has all the necessary features to
communicate all the alternative media. I also confirm that the Remote
Playback API asks user agents to synchronize the media element state
(the set of all single media element properties observable by the page
and/or the user) between the controller and the receiver.

As such, I believe that the API handles all of the concerns that you
raise. Captions and subtitles will be present along with the main
audio/video content. That includes audio or text descriptions of video,
provided that these descriptions are represented as audio and text
tracks (in other words that they are part of the media element state,
and not some DOM content available elsewhere on the page).

I would just note that the spec leaves the implementation of the
synchronization step up to the controller and receiver (the Open Screen
Protocol defines one way to do it but there is no requirement that the
Open Screen Protocol be supported), and that it does not take for
granted that the receiver supports the exact same set of capabilities as
the controller.

Thanks,
Francois.