W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > March 2020

Re: Agenda: APA WEEKLY Teleconference; Wednesday 18 March at 1600Z

From: Matthew Tylee Atkinson <matkinson@paciellogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:50:47 +0000
Cc: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Message-Id: <457E9AFC-820E-46F6-A6DB-6DEA71E96A9F@paciellogroup.com>
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Hello all,

Please find the minutes online at <https://www.w3.org/2020/03/18-apa-minutes.html> and also repeated below for convenience.

best regards,


Matthew

  - DRAFT -


  Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference


    18 Mar 2020


    Attendees

Present
    IrfanA, Léonie, (tink), Matthew_Atkinson, Joshue, janina, Joshue108
Regrets
Chair
    SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
    Matthew_Atkinson


    Contents

  * Topics <#agenda>
     1. Agenda Review & Announcements <#item01>
     2. Availability Next Wednesday 25 March <#item02>
     3. Task Force Updates -- Upcoming Publications <#item03>
     4. New Charters Review
        https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22
        <#item04>
     5. new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html <#item05>
     6. New Review Tracking <#item06>
     7. Actions Checkin (Specs)
        https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8 <#item07>
  * Summary of Action Items <#ActionSummary>
  * Summary of Resolutions <#ResolutionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson


      Agenda Review & Announcements


      Availability Next Wednesday 25 March

Janina: Due to a conflict next week, shall we skip next Wednesday's
meeting? Any objections?

Josh: that's fine

+1 fine by me

Janina: thus we will not be meeting next week


      Task Force Updates -- Upcoming Publications

<IrfanA> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/4877
<https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/4877>

Janina: *enquires as to the relationship between CSS Spech Module and
our Pronounciation group*

Léonie: CSS Speech covers a different area. Started off as part of
Emacspeak, became the CSS Speech Module. Has recently been re-cast as a
Candidate Recommendation.

Léonie: It had been published as a note, but was rescinded and recently
re-published as CR.

Léonie: There was important feedback from PFWG (now APA) that needs to
be addressed.

Léonie: Lots of strong accessibility use cases. The spec needs to
address the concerns that have been raised (hence helping out).

Léonie: Understand that Pronounciation is about how screen readers
pronounce things; CSS Speech has a wider remit of speech in general, and
not just for screen readers. E.g. CSS Speach can give us the tools to
e.g. emphasise certain text via a change in volume, voice, etc.

Léonie: it should also be easy to stop assistive tech from reacting to
CSS Speech.

Janina: Pronounciation (TF) covers more than screen readers.

Léonie: Is the work of the TF about how words are pronounced?

Irfan: the use cases document for Pronounciation covers things that may
be addressed by CSS Speech.

Léonie: CSS Speech has partial implementation; think this may be closer
to implementation than SSML (Pronounciation).

<Zakim> Joshue, you wanted to ask a little detail on some of those use
cases for CSS speech

<IrfanA>
https://sites.google.com/a/texthelp.com/texthelp-speechstream-public-toolbar-api/
<https://sites.google.com/a/texthelp.com/texthelp-speechstream-public-toolbar-api/>

Janina: There is some SSML implemented via the Pronounciation TF [note
from scribe: I may be unclear about this]

Josh: *asks about gaps between the two approaches*

<IrfanA> https://www.w3.org/TR/pronunciation-gap-analysis-and-use-cases/
<https://www.w3.org/TR/pronunciation-gap-analysis-and-use-cases/>

Léonie: CSS Speech builds on Web Speech API and CSS-style approaches. It
may not cover all of the things that the Pronounciation TF will be able
to, but it's already partly implemented.

Léonie: There are three technologies that are relevant: CSS Speech; Web
Speech and SSML.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/standards/history/css3-speech
<https://www.w3.org/standards/history/css3-speech>

Michael: *Wondering what is the process for the develoment of the CSS
Speech Module document* Will it go back to Working Draft? Things may've
changed since we last commented.

Léonie: The publication as CR was intended to correct the prevoius
publication of it as a note. It's not currently clear as to when it
might change state next, but there is work to be done, and this process
is being worked out. Some feedback from the last round of comments needs
to be acknowledged in the spec.

Janina: Can we discuss with Pronounciation TF and see which areas we are
covering?

Léonie: Web Speech API has all the same controls (speech, volume, voice
interface) as CSS Speech, which is also similar to SSML. All are at
least partly implemented.

Janina: Pronounciation seeks to address the correct pronounication of
content across platforms.

Léonie: *gathers the goal is to implement SSML in the browser; it having
being implemented in many other settings*

Janina: *agrees*

Michael: For Web Speech API is it necessary to write script to control
the pronounciation, whereas for SSML/CSS it is more declarative? A
well-defined mapping to Web Speech API would be good.

Léonie: They all share similar properties (including allowable values in
cases such as loudness).

Michael: If browsers don't support SSML then at least implementing it
via script would be good.

Léonie: *thinks that it would be great if browsers supported SSML*

Irfan: there is a JavaScript API that works across browsers.

Janina: We discussed a while back with respect to WICG group, we intend
to share what is currently implemented and the gap analysis and take
things from there.
... *suggests Léonie joining the Pronounication TF to ascertain which
tech coers which use cases* [scribe note: which is being arranged]

Janinia: XAUR is to be announced


      New Charters Review
      https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22
      <https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22>

<MichaelC> DRAFT PROPOSED EPUB 3 Working Group Charter
<https://w3c.github.io/epub-3-wg-charter/>

Michael: *wondering if this relates to Digital Publishing*
... They have a liaison to ARIA (via DPUB).


      new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html
      <http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html>

<MichaelC> Accessibility tracker
<https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review>

Michael: *Recap from last week: if an issue is relevant to us, it should
be given the a11y-tracker label. This will show up on our dashboard.
There is a mechanism to ensure issues block progression of documents to
CR until we've signed off on them.*

More info on issues and labelling:
https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/HOWTO
<https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/HOWTO>

Michael: If we think something needs to be resolved, we add the
a11y-needs-resolution label.
... various issues were filed on topics such as CSS

Janina: is there a way to see what's been updated since our last meeting?

Michael: There doesn't seem to be [Michael gets GitHub notification
emails but nobody else does]. So far the only way to check the date is
to follow the link. They can't close the issues without APA being
notified, but we don't necessarily get to know about their discussions
automatically.
... think we need to make a pass over the dashboard in future to decide
which issues are relating to accessibility


      New Review Tracking

Michael: Nothing for us this week.


      Actions Checkin (Specs)
      https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8
      <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8>


    Summary of Action Items


    Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]
-- 
Matthew Tylee Atkinson
--
Senior Accessibility Engineer
The Paciello Group
https://www.paciellogroup.com
A Vispero Company
https://www.vispero.com/
--
This message is intended to be confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system and notify us immediately.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Received on Wednesday, 18 March 2020 16:51:01 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:23:06 UTC