RE: Request for guidance from AGWG re mathematical markup

One possibility would be to write the mathematical expressions in LaTeX (embedded in the HTML document), and then to convert them to MathML as part of the publication step. This would maintain the ease of editing while still generating standards-conformant MathML.

To use MathJax, if desired, one could simply include the appropriate script element in the HEAD of the document.

The MathML Refresh Community Group is contemplating optional enhancements to Presentation MathML that clarify the meaning of expressions for, among potentially other purposes, accessibility. This work also encompasses chemistry, thanks to the contributions of the Chemistry for the Web and Publishing Community Group. More details can be discussed at the meeting.

From: Noble, Stephen <steve.noble@pearson.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 3:16 PM
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>; George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>; tzviya.wai@rednote.net; White, Jason J <jjwhite@ets.org>
Cc: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Request for guidance from AGWG re mathematical markup

Hi Janina,

Of course, Jason has been researching this a lot lately, so he may have some good observations to share. My usual response is that the MathML specification is *the* W3C recommendation for including math expressions in web content. However, since browser vendors have been slow to support MathML, MathJax has become the common way these days to support math display in a web page until browser support catches up. It also allows web page authors to use either MathML, LaTeX or ASCIIMath in the body of the page source code, which then gets processed by JavaScript to produce proper looking math expressions. MathJax also provides off-screen MathML to the browser, which enables screen readers to read the math. Of course, once Chromium has adopted MathML support, the need for MathJax will be greatly diminished. One could certainly use MathML in the page source and MathJax would take care of proving appropriate support for browsers that need it.

Hope that helps,

--Steve

Steve Noble
Instructional Designer, Accessibility