Re: Draft APA charter

On 02/04/2018 16:40, Michael Cooper wrote:
> A draft charter for APA is available:
> https://www.w3.org/2018/03/draft-apa-charter

Thanks for sharing this Michael. Some thoughts...

1. Readability.

I know charters are based on a standard template, and I've provided this
feedback to Wendy Seltzer via the AB before, but can the readability be
improved?

The draft APA charter requires between 11 years (Flesch Kincaid Grade)
and 15 years (Gunning Fog Index) education to be understood. It has a
Flesch Kincaid score of 34, where the recommended target is between 60
and 70 for good readability.

The readability of charters was raised at the AC meeting in Beijing last
year, where an AC rep pointed out that with minimal time at their
disposal, making charters easier to read and review would be helpful in
engaging the AC.

2. Emerging technologies?

"◦ Collect information about technology features, implementation, and
usage patterns to institutionalize W3C knowledge about present-day
accessibility problems,
including for emerging technologies such as social networking, real-time
communications, Web-based television viewing, etc.;

◦ Determine accessibility considerations for new devices and
technologies, such as e-books, mobile communications devices, tablets,
automotive interfaces,
Web-enabled television, etc.;"

A minor point, but I don't think these are really new or emerging
technologies/devices. Does the charter need to include any examples?

3. Deliverables.

"Consider adopting a healthy testing policy, such as: To promote
interoperability, all changes made to specifications should have
tests."

Is this a deliverable?

There is a bit of content that seems to discuss the various stages of
specification maturity. Are these intended to remain in the draft charter?

4. Resourcing.

How does APA plan to produce the documents included in the Deliverables
section? Most were expected to reach maturity during the current charter
period, but remain in development through this draft charter period.

5. W3C Groups

"Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Working Group"

Should be AG WG.

6. Missing content?

There are multiple instances of @@ throughout the draft charter.

Léonie.