Re: Fwd: WG Decision on referencing the Image Description (longdesc) extension

Thanks, Leonie. This is very helpful.

A few quick comments in line below ...

Léonie Watson writes:
> + team-webplatform@w3.org
>
> On 18/08/2016 14:43, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > I think it would be very helpful to have a simple sentence or two about
> > how this decision changes things from HTML 5.0. Frankly, given the
> > history of longdesc, APA should arguably be consulted before any changes
> > are put in place.
>
> I should have let APA know this discussion was taking place. With several
> accessibility people involved from the outset, I didn't mention it formally.
> Sorry for that.

Apology accepted, and no damage done, I think.

> [...]
>
> > So, the threshold question of the moment -- Is this CfC Decision a
> > change? Or status quo? Frankly, I can't tell from a quick read of the
> > attached, so thanks for your wisdom on this.
>
> When we referenced longdesc in HTML5.1 we did so without realising that the
> definition of an extension or "applicable specification" as a non-conforming
> HTML document was something introduced in HTML5 [1], and referenced in Plan
> 2014 [2].
>
> It also seems that the PFWG resolved to keep the Image Description extension
> as a stand-alone document, as opposed to having it folded into HTML.
> Following an (unminuted) comment made on the APA call yesterday, I tracked
> down the PF resolution [3], following a minuted discussion of the proposal
> from the HTML A11y TF [4].

Correct. As I'm the person who made that observation during the APA call, I'm pleased
you've been successful tracking down the documentary support for it.

> Hope this helps.

We'll bring up the question on APA just in case, but I suspect we're OK.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net