Re: Fwd: WG Decision on referencing the Image Description (longdesc) extension

From: Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:01:46 +0100
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>, Léonie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com>
Cc: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>, You agreed to what?!?! <team-webplatform@w3.org>
+ team-webplatform@w3.org

On 18/08/2016 14:43, Janina Sajka wrote:
> I think it would be very helpful to have a simple sentence or two about
> how this decision changes things from HTML 5.0. Frankly, given the
> history of longdesc, APA should arguably be consulted before any changes
> are put in place.

I should have let APA know this discussion was taking place. With
several accessibility people involved from the outset, I didn't mention
it formally. Sorry for that.

[...]

> So, the threshold question of the moment -- Is this CfC Decision a
> change? Or status quo? Frankly, I can't tell from a quick read of the
> attached, so thanks for your wisdom on this.

When we referenced longdesc in HTML5.1 we did so without realising that
the definition of an extension or "applicable specification" as a
non-conforming HTML document was something introduced in HTML5 [1], and
referenced in Plan 2014 [2].

It also seems that the PFWG resolved to keep the Image Description
extension as a stand-alone document, as opposed to having it folded into
HTML. Following an (unminuted) comment made on the APA call yesterday, I
tracked down the PF resolution [3], following a minuted discussion of
the proposal from the HTML A11y TF [4].

Hope this helps.
Léonie.
[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/infrastructure.html#infrastructure